Foundation of formal Emergency Medicine Training Program in Ireland
– Before 2001, trainees emigrated to the UK and Australia to get formal training in Emergency Medicine.
– Two trainees, Ronan O’Sullivan and Cathal O’Donnell, were accepted onto the training programme with two centres for Emergency Medicine training, St James’s Hospital and Cork University Hospital.
Foundation of Irish Emergency Medicine Training Association
– Founded in 2001 with the initial committee composed solely of Cathal (as president) and Ronan (as secretary).
– The first meetings held by IEMTA were scientific and held in the Mercer Hotel beside RCSI.
– Foundation of Andy Neill’s own successful emergency medicine FOAMed website EmergencyMedicineIreland.com
IEMTA joins IAEM
– When IAEM acquired charitable status, IEMTA elected to join formally with IAEM in 2012.
– Currently members pay membership fees to IAEM.
Foundation of Emergency Medicine Student Society of Ireland
– The Emergency Medicine Student Society of Ireland was founded in 2012 by Jimmy Lee and Helena Dolphin.
– There are currently branches of EMSSI in most medical schools in Ireland.
Conception of Website
– Website set up by Stuart Carr, subsequently maintained by Jason Horan and Rosa McNamara.
– John Cronin, Jason, and Andy Neil were instrumental in developing the background to the new website.
-At the 2013 IEMTA AGM, a website officer was proposed as a new position on the IEMTA committee.
– The new IEMTA website was launched at the IEMTA 2014 Spring meeting by the IEMTA website officer Andrew Patton.
Facebook Page Created
– Cian McDermott sets up IEMTA Facebook page
– TheCase.Report podcast launches with their CovidCast, providing a new source of FOAMed to Irish trainees, and has gone from strength to strength ever since.