IEMTA Newsletter August 2013
Everyone is settling into their new rotations.
IEMTA members please note that IAEM annual scientific meeting is fast approaching. Abstracts for the meeting are now invited and should be submitted to email@example.com using the Abstract Submission Form (available on www.iaem.ie). The closing date for submission of abstracts is Friday 16th August 2013 at 1700.
Dr Jodie Doyle (BSTEM OLCHC) featured on The Last Word with Matt Cooper advocating better working condition for NCHDs:
IEMTA Newsletter June 2013
IEMTA members please note that IAEM annual scientific meeting is fast approaching. Dr Sinead O’Gorman will be posting details on the IAEM website shortly but please keep in mind the Abstract Submission Closure is Friday 16th August 2013 at 17.00hrs for those who are currently working on projects.
There has been a lot of discussion recently on our IEMTA email forums regarding working as events as doctors.
There are a few factors relating to this that any Dr should be aware of:
1. Are they allowed? A Dr on the general or specialist medical council register can do it but a trainee on the training division would need this to be signed off by their supervising consultant.
2. Are they covered to do it? Have they got additional indemnity from the MPS/MDU?
3. Are they trained to do it? This is a big issue and the HSE Emergency Planning Office are issuing strict guidance on what people can and can’t do – this document will be available in the very near future – I’ll forward it on if I get access to a copy.
4. What are the terms of reference for the job? Who are they working for? Who do they report to? Who is the Medical Controller at the event and which doctor is assuming medical responsibility for the event?
Most of this is incorporated into an ICEMT document:
This restricts all activity to that approved by the programme director and also explains that BSTEMs are not considered to have the competences to practice in the Pre Hospital environment but may attend as observers.
Interested parties should also refer to the Health Service Executive’s “Requirements and Guidance for Outdoor Crowd Events” document published in April 2013
Congrats to Conor Deasy et al for a very success EMS gathering held in Kilarney- lots of interesting lectures on bikes, boats and buses to Moll’s Gap.
Congratulations to Vinny for passing his FCEM exams and to Sinead McArdle for passing the Intensive Care Medicine Diploma.
News for the next IEMTA newsletter can be forwarded to the IEMTA secretary (photos always welcome)!!!
IEMTA Newsletter May 2013
EMS Gathering, Killarney, May 15th and 16th.
EMS Gathering is inviting you to come and spend a couple of days with friends and colleagues in the beautiful surroundings of Killarney, Co. Kerry, Ireland on May 15th & 16th 2013.
Here you will find a warm welcome with a packed timetable of academic, leisure and social activities. Keynote speakers will discuss current EMS hot topics in the morning sessions whilst the afternoons will incorporate leisure with learning activities as well as competitions designed to optimise our technical and non-technical skills.
Dr Eoin Fogarty, oral competition winner at the recent IEMTA scientific meeting, was featured on Ray D’arcy’s Today FM discussing his recent research regarding distraction techniques for children.
Eoin’s segment starts at 23 minutes.
The study has also been just published in the EMJ:
Emerg Med J. 2013 Apr 29. [Epub ahead of print] The ‘Jedward’ versus the ‘Mohawk’: a prospective study on a paediatric distraction technique. Fogarty E, Dunning E, Koe S, Bolger T, Martin C.
Thanks to all who attended the IEMTA Spring Scientific meeting on the 26th April sponsored by AstraZeneca. It was a fantastic evening with a record number of abstracts presented (7 oral presentations and 7 poster presentations).
Dr Gerard O’Connor ran a hands on FAST US session and a Dr Rory Whelan ran the hands on airway station.
Congrats to Dr Eoin Fogarty for winning the oral presentation with his oral presentation: The “Jedward” versus the “Mohawk”: A Prospective Study on a Paediatric Distraction Techniques.
Dr Brid Reale won the poster presentation with her study: “An Evaluation of the Usability and Effectiveness of the Low-Risk Chest Pain Pathway in the Emergency Department of University Hospital Limerick”.
Oral presentations were varied and of high standard.
Oral presenters: Dr Ben Ramasubbu, Dr Leonie Hester, Dr Eziefa Obuseh, Dr Siobhan Maguire, Dr Eoin Fogarty, Dr Navin Ramphul, Professor Ryan, Dr Durgavasini Devanath.
Dr Alan Watts delivered a challenging EM quiz in his unique style!
Click here to view images in the photo gallery.
2. Emergency Medicine Revision Course 29th & 30th 2013. EMR Course May 2013 See also News and upcoming events page on this website for more details.
3. Dr Niamh Collins, EM consultant in Blanchardstown Hospital, is running a session on basic statistics for MCEM A on Sat 11th May from 12 noon to 4pm in the tutorial room in the emergency dept in Connolly Emergency Dept. If people are interested, then can they e-mail Dr Collins in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority will be for those sitting the exam in June. For those who are interested, the clampers are very active in Connolly … so if they pay E6, then that will cover 5 hours parking.